St. Augustine’s Catholic Primary School was opened in August 1908 to serve the growing Catholic population in the area. At that time, there was no parish church and Mass was celebrated in what is now our Year 1 classroom. The original cross can still be seen on the roof!
On the day of opening, school was closed until further notice due to the non-delivery of desks for the pupils!
Additions to the building have taken place throughout the school’s history, notably the addition of school hall with stage and dining facilities, provision of Nursery area, extension of classrooms for Key Stage 2 classes in the early 1960s, modernisation of office facilities in the 1980s, development of a computer suite in the late 1990s, conversion of stage area into multi-purpose teaching and performing area, provision of community facilities, and revisions of outdoor play and learning facilities.
Many changes and developments have taken place over the last 100+ years and we were privileged to celebrate our Centenary in 2008. The celebrations were opened during a visit from Archbishop Vincent Nichols in May 2008 during which he blessed a memorial plaque.
Our celebrations were completed with a visit from Archbishop Bernard Longley in February 2010 when Archbishop Longley blessed a special piece of art work which had been created by the children in memory of Saint Augustine.
St. Augustine’s has a long history of success and this has been verified by complimentary Religious Education and Ofsted reports on an ongoing basis.